Scott Downey is the owner and Principal Consultant for Reliable Grid Services, LLC. With over 30 years of experience in electric system operations and compliance management, Scott founded Reliable Grid Services, LLC to provide value and subject matter expertise across NERC registered functions in an effort to enhance both system reliability and industry compliance.
Prior to founding Reliable Grid Services, LLC Scott served in senior leadership positions as Peak Reliability’s (Peak) Director of Compliance and Director of Operations. In his 11 years at Peak (Formerly WECC RC), Scott also served in the Reliability Coordinator, Manager of Operations, and Strategic Operations Advisor roles.
In addition to leading and overseeing Peak’s operations and compliance teams, Scott:
- Played a key role in the development and implementation of Peak’s Enhanced Curtailment Calculator (ECC),
- Led the development and implementation of Peak’s Outage Coordination Procedure (IRO-017),
- Provided operational subject matter expertise to Peak’s Reliability Synchrophasor Program (PRSP),
- Developed, approved and implemented various Operational Plans, Procedures, and Processes, and,
- Enhanced Peak’s Internal Compliance Program using a reliability risk-based approach through various efforts such as development and implementation of Peak’s Risk Assessment and Internal Control Evaluation Procedures.
Scott has participated on numerous NERC-led review panels, WECC RC, BA, and TOP certification teams, and various other committees and working groups throughout the industry. Scott has additional experience as a system operator at Southern California Edison and PacifiCorp, and as an Outage Coordinator and Grid Operations Supervisor at PacifiCorp.